Re: propagating E. uruguayensis

Dirk wrote:

  ....But the Uruguayensis is not shooting out any runners or stalks
with plantlets. I really wish to propagate this one as I want to spread it
among my friends and build a plant wall with them in my main tank. Does
anybody have experience with propagating this species?.........

Dirk, I looked at your picture, and the plant still looks quite small
to me, based on the sizes of the surrounding plants, even though it
has quite a few leaves.  It can produce submersed leaves 18 to 20
inches long and floating leaves between three and four feet long,
including petioles.

I don't have this species now, although I have had it for many years
on a long day (14 to 16 hours of light a day), and it has never
produced a flower stalk for me.  So, I would try shorter days.  It is
now grouped in the same species with the former "red horemanii" and
"green horemanii", but, while the latter two seem closely related,
the former seems really different.  If anyone knows how to get red or
green horemanii to bloom, perhaps the same conditions will work with
the narrow-leaved uruguayensis.  John Pitcairn got red horemanii to
bloom in backyard plastic swimming pools (about 6 feet in diameter
and 2 feet deep) in San Diego.  I think it was in the winter that I
saw them blooming.

If you grow it for several years, it will have a long enough rhizome
so that it can be pulled up and cut into pieces about 1.5 inches
long.  Each piece will produce a plant.  This is slow, but the only
alternative if it won't produce a flower stalk.

--
Paul Krombholz in warm central Mississippi, expecting rain tomorrow.