RE: SAE-Never again

Hi Rachel,

Funny. I don't doubt that SAEs could damage plants, but that is not my
experience. I have never seen them show any interest whatsoever in growing
plants, and not a lot of interest in algae, for that matter!

In my tanks they cruise around and get big and fat and lazy. I like them a
lot. They aren't particularly attractive, but not particularly unattractive
either. I think they are one of the smartest freshwater fish I have ever
kept. Hard to catch, and very fast. They seem to have a purposefullness about
them as they swim. They are the innocuous rabble rousers of my tank, never
hurting other fish, but interested enough in what other fish are doing to
swim over and poke their noses into their activities. I usually have three
SAEs in each tank. They sometimes school together, and sometimes choose to
school with other species.

When they reach full size in my tanks they start to resemble big fat torpedos
with the roundness of their bodies.

Overall, one of my favorite aquarium fish. Don't give up on them just because
of one bad experience.
Dave

multipart/alternative
  text/html