Re: Nitrate test kits

One of the issues I've always struggled with is exactly where do you hold
the sample with respect to the white background on the colour chart.

The main options that make a difference are:

1) Directly against the chart, so the white background is lit by light
passing through the sample (& focussed onto the background, as if the
liquid was a lens);

2) Directly against the chart, so the white background is lit by light
passing through the sample (but not focussed onto the background - tends to
make the background quite dark);

3) Slightly away from the chart so the white background is lit from light
entering at the side & not through the sample.

This usually changes the reading by quite a large amount depending on which
method is used.

Presumably, when the charts are designed, one or other of the above options
is the one that is supposed to be used (I assume it's #3)?

It never tells you on the instruction leaflet - & this is true for most
colour comparison based tests I've used.

Is there anyone on the list who works for a test kit company & has the
definitive answer (& the answer to the below question regarding Nitrate
testers - How long is a minute?  Is more than a minute OK?).

I've read the article referred to below - it doesn't answer these
questions!

BTW, I've tried Interpet, API, Cyprio (for ponds but quite a good design &
works OK for aquaria) & Tetra Nitrate kits over the last few years & the
API kit seems to be the most clear & consistant from my point of view
(subject to the above problem).  It discriminates well between "No Nitrate"
(pale yellow), "Some Nitrate" (brown) & "Too much Nitrate" (Red) & is the
one I always go back to; although they're all OK if you don't take it too
seriously.

(YMMV - Please don't sue me).

Regards, Kevin