Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #28 MTS snails

In a message dated 1/23/03 11:46:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> Actually, it depends on what you want. MTS are despised and considered a
>  menace by folks who breed fish. Their carnivorous habits are most focused
on

>  eating eggs. With killies, they will strip a spawning mop clean, every
>  night, and disappear back into the substrate for the day. Likewise,
cichlids

>  will guard eggs during the day but lose them at night.

Why would you put snails in a tank meant for breeding egg layers to start
with? Breeder tanks should stripped down and sterilized before breeding is
planned. MTS snails are great in a community tank. If you want to breed fish
they shouldn't be in a community tank. BTW freezing for several days will
eliminate MTS snails. I breed fish and I think MTS are the best snails around
I just don't put them in my breeding tanks.

Moon