Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #25 lily pads

   Sam
   you don't mention if you plan on tropical or temperate lilies. If you live
in an
area with freezes I'd go for the hardies. I'd wait until the water warmed
above 50
 plant individually in large pots. The pans sold as mortar mixers are
excellent though a little shallow..Mix top soil with pond soil stick in some
fertilizer spikes. Plant
 Start them in just enough water to cover and as they grow move them deeper
until
where you want them. Over the summer they should be able to handle a depth of
six feet. The advantage of this is you can add fertilizer as necessary and
give them time to develop deep water leaves. It's also handy if you decide
you want them in a different location. I suspect they will self seed and come
up on the bottom the following summer.
   Now if your talking a large pond not subject to freezing.  Lets talk
Victoria lilies
 Victoria amazonica or some of the aquatic gingers or palms. Would love to
have some of these but I just don't have the room.  Good luck
                                               Gary

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---