Red Cherry Shrimp update

Well, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I think I did something to
contaminate the water. I lost two of the cherries yesterday, the last one
is dying as I type, and two of my three C. japonica were at Death's door
until I did some major water changes. Bizarre, since the fish and snails
were fine. If the snails were acting weird, I would have suspected copper
poisoning (though aside from pennies, I don't know where it would have come
from). Water tests showed that GH and KH were 2 German degrees; I thought
this really only mattered when they were molting. I put a tiny plastic cup
of crushed coral in the tank to raise the hardness. I'm hoping that the
Yamatos will pull through. One came very close to kicking the bucket,
yesterday. Ammonia was undetectable, pH was 6.6, temperature fluctuates
from 76 to 78F, and the tank doesn't use a filter (it's only 5.5 gallons).

For now, I'm going to resist getting any more shrimp. I'll let the tank age
and stabilize a few months more and give the plants a chance to grow in
more densely. 'Til then, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the LFS will
continue stocking these cute little guys. Ugh - that was an expensive
experiment...

Thanks again.

-Naomi