Re: nutrient problems

At 03:56 AM 1/1/2003, you wrote on APD:

>Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 00:28:54 -0800 (PST)
>From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Re: nutrient problems
>
>Travis,
>
>"I have a number of plants where the older leaves
>become speckled with dots.
>I assume it's a nutrient difficiency. Can anyone guess
>as to what it may be?"
>
>It looks and sounds like green spot algae.  It also
>looks like you have beard, black brush, and staghorn.
>Without knowing more about the tank, it's hard to say
>what the problem is.  None of the last three are any
>big deal if you know how to get rid of them.  I used
>to get beard when I let the macros slip too low.  I
>would be interested to know if anybody has had it with
>nutrient excess.

My two big black brush algae infestations were both tracable to nitrate
slipping below 5ppm. In the first case, it was before I started dosing
KNO3. In the second case, it was when I let baby tears grow out of control
and suck all the KNO3 out of the tank. IN both cases, once Nitrate was back
closer to 10ppm the black brush algae went away.

Dave Millman
Is your product "Must Have" or just Nice to Have? Find your Sweet Spot!
http://www.tactics.com

TACTICS Sells High Tech, Inc.
+1 408 298-2200 extension 1

multipart/alternative