polyfilter

I am not the best one to answer this but since the post mentioned me, I'll
at least give my two cents worth :)

At the time I used the polyfilter, Amano shrimp were dying in droves.  After
exploring every possible angle with no success, someone suggested that
perhaps I had placed plants, from tanks being treated with copper, into the
tank (I had recently added a bunch of new plants).  This was a last ditch
effort to stop the deaths.  The polyfilter and copper test kit I purchased
did assure me I had no copper, it also made sure I had no iron afterwards!
I think it is too effective.  It takes out good stuff in addition to bad.  I
can't remember what it does take out but iron is one of them and we need
that!

I think the best way to get rid of "bad" stuff is through water changes.  It
removes toxins and dilutes what is left in the system.  You need to do them
anyway to "reset" the tank.  If you had an emergency (like knocking a bottle
of copper solution) into the tank, a polyfilter is something you could throw
in while you did several massive water changes but personally, I don't think
it is the way to go for regular use.

The shrimp finally stopped dying (they do that once they are all dead!).
After waiting a month or so, I put a few dozen back in the tank and since
then, I have not lost another.  I never figured out what happened but lots
of water changes and time fixed it.  Now, they regularly cruise the tank
with eggs.

If this is something you utilized on a regular basis, it would get
expensive.  Water changes are cheap and easy, I water my yard in the
process!  This is all strictly my opinion and I am sure the experts can give
you a really good reason to use/not use it and back it up.

Daphne