Re: %&$@!&# algae

>   Ok I am having a serious algae problem. I thinks its my own fault. I wrote
>a week or two ago (rookie needs help) I was using a phosphate buffer to
>adjust ph. This causes algae bloom. ok stop using it do some water changes
>easy enough:( well I think I have more problems then that I have a new
>algae! :) It looks like black hairs growing mostly on plants, I read some
>where that this is usually caused by excessive iron. I am using a plant
>fertilizer that is high in iron. I can't seem to find a iron test kit
>anywhere in the great state of mississippi;| so now I have green algae
>growing all over my glass, rocks, and plants. as well as my new algae:) what
>should I do more water changes bigger? I was thinking 50% once a week.

What kind of plant fertilizer are you using? If it's a terrestrial plant
fertilizer (miracle gro and the like), then that's probably your problem.
If it's an aquatic-plant specific fertilizer than you're probably either
short on some important ingredient (potassium is common), or the particular
mix you're using may have too much of a particular ingredient for your
particular tank+water combo.

Seachem makes an inexpensive iron test kit that works pretty well and is
fairly easy to use. I think I got mine at Pet Warehouse (now drs
foster&smith) for around $20. Most of the usual test kits you find in LFS
places only test pH/nitrate/ammonia, sometimes hardness. The more advanced
kits that are either more precise or test for less commonly tested
parameters (like iron, CO2, etc.) are usually easier to get via mail order.
Reef-oriented LFSes often have a wider selection of test kits though, and
since most salt-water test kits are also OK for fresh water I suggest
hunting around for a reef-oriented LFS in your area to check.

         -Bill
Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator