KH and Eheim report

First, I need to offer a much-belated thank-you to George Booth for
offering advice on my KH woes. I've been dealing with sick kids and a
tank set-up, so I'm up to my elbows in AP digests.

(A correction to the below stats, btw. I wrote that my light is 55
watts, when I meant to say 110.) I find it interesting how water can
differ from house to house. Back in the fall, I tested my neighbor's
water (houses were built at the same time 8 years ago, same city water
source). My KH was 3 and his was 5.

The reason I thought I might be seeing biogenic decalcification was that
what is happening in my tank matched the description I had read. That
coupled with the fact that all of my neighbors complain about too much
calcium in the water, yet my snails have dissolving shells makes me
think that something is happening to the calcium in my tank.

On a different front--A month or so ago I was asking for some feedback
on Eheim filters for my 110 gallon tank. I decided on the professional
II model 2028, which I set up this weekend. I couldn't be more pleased
with it at this point. It is so quiet. The tank is directly behind a
couch in the TV room and you can't even hear a gurgle from the filter.
Wow, fully loaded, this is the heaviest filter I have ever owned!

I ordered the filter from Big Al's. It was my first time ordering from
them and there were a few hiccups, but their customer service department
was great. Some of the filter media didn't arrive and there must have
been a problem with their shopping cart--I was sent an additional filter
(Fluval) that wasn't on my order confirmation but was on the invoice.
They are sending me a return sticker for the extra filter. As for the
missing media, (two boxes of the substrat), they shipped it immediately
so I would have it in time to set up my tank for the weekend. I was very
pleased with their response and will definitely order again. Mistakes
happen; it's how they are handled that matters the most.

Sharon--who had to drive 25 miles this weekend to find a store with
fluorite in stock.

---