RE;-Vermiculite+soild+sand substrate(jim kelly method)

I have been confortably using this substrate, without any problem of its
own.

No clouding of water happens if a reasonably thick, about 2 inches layer of
sand is put over the soil+vermiculite mixture.

There is no other reason for algae to come if solid slow releasing
fertiliser tablets are used.

By the way, boiling vermiculite helps in keeping it submerged.

I think that for substrate, one should go for what is easily available and
at a reasonable cost.

with regards,

Dr Ajit Athale,
India.