Re: allelopathic solution to algae problems

> In recent posts there was some mention of an allelopathic solution to
> algae problems. I just finished another fine article by Karen Randall in a
> common hobby magazine. In the article on "Easy to grow aquarium plants," it
> is mentioned that hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum, has (and I am
> paraphrasing, I hope I do not misquote) a better than average ability to
> produce allelopathic algae inhibitors.

It's not ___a strong____ allelopathic effect, but weak. Adding an otto cat
or a few shrimps would do more than the effects of this plant.
This will seldom, if ever, solve an algal issue for folks on it's own.
Adding lots of plant mass, it's cheap and having fresh new growth of this
fast growing plant free of algae are most of the good aspects about this
plant that help algae control. The chemical aspects are very weak.

I wonder if there is a "percent of
> tank" guideline we could come up with that would help people who do not have
> or choose not to have supplemental CO2? I dont have a
> sump in any of my tanks, but one could imagine replacing some of the
> biological media with our old friend "coontail." With the fine leaf
> structure, I imagine that a certain quantity of this plant would do as well
> as some of our modern plastic ball thingies, if indeed, plants will support
> bacteria colonies as gravel, sponges, hair curlers and plastic army men do.

Why not do plant filters with emmersed plants like swords, Peace lilies etc?
These get all the CO2 they need and require less lighting.

Regards,
Tom Barr