Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #6

In a message dated 1/6/2003 10:28:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:05:06 -0500
> From: Laura Wichers <cellostix at wtw_waveform.net>
> Subject: Hagen CO2 system
>
> I've been a lurker here for some time, trying to educate myself about
> planted tanks.  I want to start using a CO2 system for my 25gal.  As
> tuition
> bills aren't cheap, I thought about using the DIY system but would like
> something more reliable.  The LFS has a new product, Hagen Plant Grow
> Natural System with CO2, that looks interesting.  Does anyone have any
> experience/comments about this product?  At about $22 to start, it
> definitely fits the budget.

 If you are on a budget and your tank isnt more than 30 gallons or so, you
can build your own comparable CO2 generator for the price of a 2 liter
bottle, some silicone, and some airline. There are alot of plans online that
are more detailed, but the basic idea is to either drill or poke a hole in
the cap of the 2 liter. The hole should be as close to or slightly smaller
than the size of the airline. Clip one end of the airline at an angle. Insert
about an inch or so of the tubing into the cap and silicone the heck out of
it. We want it to be airtight. After allowing about 24 hrs for the silicone
to cure,
we will pour 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp instant yeast into the
2 liter. Then fill to just about 2 inches from the top of the bottle. Insert
the other end of the airline into a powerhead, HOB filter, anything with an
impeller that will break up the CO2 bubbles. After a day or two you should
begin to get bubbles. When this happens, monitor your pH levels, compare this
along with your kH to the CO2/pH/kH reference table at www.sfbaaps.com. This
system will require some fiddling probably.
The CO2 brew will need renewed every couple of weeks. Again, monitoring your
pH will tell you when to change it.

This system works well, but I got tired of it after a year or so and went to
compressed gas CO2. Its a little bit of an investment at the start, but it is
well worth it.

Good luck, dont give up, read the archives, etc.

> Also, recommendations for plant books would be great.  Something that lists
>
> many aquarium plants and their growing requirements?

Ines Scheurmann, Aquarium Plants Manual....cheap little Barron's book.
www.thekrib.com

-Z-

multipart/alternative
  text/html