Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V6 #6

In a message dated 1/6/2003 10:28:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:47:59 -0600
> From: Shane Martin <nshanemartin at juno_com>
> Subject: silver dollars and plants (2 questions)
>
> Having never kept  Silver Dollars and always being interested in doing so
> I finally got a small group (6) to go in my 20L tank. The tank had been
> up for a month with just plants, heat, filtration and DIY CO2 and all was
> going well. Long story short I got duped by the salesman. He said the
> silver dollars just fine eating prepared foods. They took a liking to my
> plants and in two days my moneywort was 12 stalks. Are there any plants
> silver dollars don't like? I currently have anacharis, cryptocoryne
> wendtii, hybrid aponogeton, hybrid ulvaceus and micro sword. They havn't
> started in on anything else, yet.

       Im afraid that what you have now would be considered a fine salad bar
by your fish. The only thing they might not eat is Java fern, or perhaps some
Anubias.

> Also, what are some reccomended plants that can be grown from cuttings? I
> have another tank that is set up to be a plant rearing tank...to possibly
> grow back up plants or just look pretty.
>
> Thanks,
> N. Shane Martin

       Most stem plants are propagated via cuttings. Plants that grown on
wood or stones, java fern, anubias, etc, can be encouraged to grow by nicking
the rhizome slightly. Most rooted plants either propagate via runners,
offshoots or flowering (vegetative?).

HTH,

-Z-

multipart/alternative