Lava Rock sand...

My only concern with lava rock sand would be sharpness. The hubby & I spent
an afternoon hiking around on recent lava at the Kilauea eruption in Hawaii
a couple years ago (it was fabulous, incredible, one of the most amazing,
awesome things I've ever done or seen) and it tore our shoes to pieces. It
destroyed the brand-new vibram soles on his boots and ripped the leather on
both pairs of shoes. And we were caving in some lava tubes last summer down
near Bend Oregon and I slipped and fell and ripped my leg up pretty good
(yes, I was wearing shorts - stupid! Wear long plants!).

-Rachel