Aquatic Palms 5/6

Chamaedorea cataractarum grows as a rheophyte in the states
of Oaxaca, Tabasco and Chiapas, Mexico.
(http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Chamaedorea/cataractum.html)
It was originally found near waterfalls and cataracts, hence
the specific epithet. It is found in or near water and is
wholly or partially submerged during heavy rains and floods.
A further adaptation of this palm to its habitat is a
creeping horizontal stem with many tenacious roots that
anchor the plant firmly to the substrate.

This beautiful species is becoming a popular ornamental palm
even for indoors
(http://www.nzpalm.co.nz/productpix/ChamaedoreaCataractarum.
jpg). I have been cultivating the palm in my pond for a
number of years. It seems that the plant can remain
submerged for a long period of time but I have not noticed
any significant growth during the submerged phase. It best
grows as a marginal plant in soft water. In hard water the
leaf tips turn brown/black. It is interesting to note that
the 'miniature palm trees' occasionally imported from
Singapore for the aquarium trade are mostly Chamaedorea
elegans  (Neanthe bella), the very common Parlour Palm also
offered for sale in most house-plant shops. This is not an
aquatic plant but can survive extended submerged periods
like its relative. It usually succumbs eventually if left
underwater...

*** I would like to wish everybody here a healthy and
trouble-free new year ****

regards
Stephan

---
[This E-mail was scanned for spam and viruses by NextGen.net.]