Re: Ladybugs and Japanese Beetles

Ladybugs are small beneficial beetles.  There are many species. Typical ones
are smaller than a pencil eraser with bright orange or red backs with two or
more black spots.  They are valued as eaters of smaller insects such as
aphids.  I don't believe they bite anything larger than aphids, although if
in the middle of the night you feel one crawling on your stomach you might
react as if it did.

There is only one species of Japanese Beetle.  The adults are about 3/8 inch
by 1/4 inch in size, with a metallic green color.  They and their larva are
voracious eaters of plant leaves and roots, but I doubt that they bite
anything except those things.

Ladybugs are the official insect (or bug) of six states and are held in high
esteem by farmers and gardeners.  Japanese beetles are despised by those same
people.

To address the original question:  Those tiny things may be "thrips," of
which there are over 6,000 species, almost all tiny.  They eat vegetable
matter and are eaten by anything that can get at them.  Harmless.  I've had
them - they come and go every few years.

And, ladybugs are a major predator of thrips!

Bill