Re: Mercury Vapor lights

> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 07:45:45 -0800 (PST)
> From: john wheeler
>
> Is Mercury Vapor something useable?...
>
> I never hear anyone talk about this lighting type, so
> I'm guessing it's a shot in the dark, but for $22 it
> worth the inquisition.

Some photos of a tank using two 100W fixtures (also purchased at Lowe's, $28
each, a couple of years ago):

http://www.mindspring.com/~nestor10/trials/55gallon.htm

The off-cast colors are the result of using daylight film against a mix of
MV and flourescent GroLuxs as ambient. (The two MVs were at opposing ends
with two double 24" flourescents covering the center.)

A couple of considerations:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Tech/toomuchlight.html#2

(but, somehow, the text has dropped down to the next heading (No Title), so
I guess it's really #3).

Look closely, and the only thing this tank seems to suffer from is a slight
potassium deficiency...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com