Aponogetons

I have some aponogeton bulbs in my tank. I tore my tank down once and the
leaves died off during the redo and they are growing again. I have read that
aponogeton bulbs need a dormant period. Do they go dormant on their own, or
am I supposed to take them out of the aquarium or something? This second bit
of growth they have isn't as vigorous as the first and the bulbs seem a bit
smaller than at first. Are they heavy root feeders?

-Travis
In Sunny Southern Maine, few clouds, temps in the 20's