Re: Formaline

> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:55:22 +0100
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Xisco_Mu=F1oz?= <xisco__ at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Formaline
>
> I treated with formaline my planted tank and  several plants were dammaged
> (the dose was 1 drop per 2 liters  formaldehide 40%). -
>
> Dammaged:
> Eichhornia azurea (yelow leaves on one hour)
> Aponogeton ulvaceus ( " )
> Ceratophyllum demersum (lost)
> Barclaya longifolia (big holes)
> Riccia (stoped bubblin for serveral days)

You dosed (too) high.
50% less would have likely not had the effects you saw.
When some plants are effected while others are not, this tends to be the
case.

In any event, if a well run tank, you should not need medications generally
and then only something like malachite Green for ick etc.
The other option is a quarantine tank or a Dip in the medication solution.
Reduce fish load, get the tank's parameters back in line for the plants and
the tank should have extremely low NO3's, high O2, plenty of cover and you
should feed well with a variety of foods, not just flake etc.
I have not needed medications for fish for some 15 years.

Regards,
Tom Barr