Re: UndergraverHeater -- Getting to the bottom

> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 02:55:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
>
> George Booth has reported improved plant growth with the
> use of such heaters.  Others have reported no significant
> improvement.

I *hope* I never said substrate heaters improved growth! My claim is that
they provide long term stability.

You could probably read into that something like "you will have improved
growth after 18 months in a tank with substrate heating compared to the same
setup after 18 months without substrate heating". But that only means that
the growth with substrate heating was consistently good over the long run
and we experienced growth problems after 18 months in a tank without
substrate heating.

> My tanks have excess heat during most months of the year
> due to room temps and lights, so my cable only ran during
> about 4 or 5 months of the year, and then, only during the
> evening.

Luckily, our house is airconditioned, so we can use cables all year long.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/