Betta's...

Adam;

Not a wimpy betta...

Gourami's and betta's are both Anabatoid (sp?) fish.  Fish from this
classification do not get along with one another.  It just so happens the
gourami is the tougher Anabatoid of the two, so your betta didn't really
have a chance.  I'm betting the other fish got in on the act once the betta
was down and out from the pounding it received from the gourami.

Paradise fish are also Anabatoid fish, therefore they also won't get along
with Gourami's and betta's.  However, a betta will probably be the winner in
a match up with a Paradise fish. ;^)

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,

Michael Laflamme