Re: Marine planted tanks

Bob Ashcraft said:

> I agree.  Reef keepers are fussy about their setups.  But, of course,
it doesn't
> sound like you have thousands of dollars worth of corals and anemones
and fish in
> your tank, like some people do.

You're absolutely right. But I was trying to make the
point, and I apologize for not properly articulating it,
that you don't need an expensive set-up to grow marine
macroalgaes and some hardy species of coral. My cheap
microreef is just as fascinating and entertaining as the
expensive ones.

I've had my tank for about 4 years. Almost everytime
I look at it, I see something new. New Invertebrates and
new macroalgaes seemingly pop out of nowhere, years later,
and I have no idea where they came from. I've had sea
urchins, limpets, chitons, and other cool snails and clams
ride along in the live rock, and eventually make an
appearance. (My LFS told me that one fella found a baby
moray eel in his love rock!) You gotta love uncured live
rock for all that fun!

It's a magical place. You never know what's going to pop
up, even years after the tank has been operating.

cheers,
    sg

--
Shireen Gonzaga