Subject: Microscope:-(

http://www.techtv.com/news/computing/jump/0,24196,3384759,00.html
> May not be such a great buy:-(.

Ouch!  Thanks, Colin, for pointing this out.  A
webcam with crappy lenses wasn't what I expected.
Scientific American really dropped the ball
recommending that one (and I should have looked
into it more).

You can get the price on it down to $28 though,
but it's probably not worth much more:
http://computers.bizrate.com/,mpoi__cat_id--402,prod_id--5183201,rf--wgg.html

Digital microscopes are pretty cool, though.
There are some "real" ones for a few hundred
dollars, and some very nice ones for $1K.  I
stumbled across a very nice one (I've not used
it) for field use for $3K:
http://www.scalarscopes.com/dg2/dg2main1.htm

I've been looking for a $50 digital camera,
except I don't want the camera:  I want to zoom
in to very small things, and don't care about
photos of people and landscapes (I can't get
focus on objects 1/4" from the lense of most
digital cameras).

Oh, well.  Sorry to waste the bandwidth.

--charley
charleyb123 at yahoo_com