Re: Oxalic acid

> > Second, what material
> > could be used for the electrode to prevent formation of oxalate? Coal?
> > (it is hard to find a coal electrode of decent size to provide
> > sufficient current density).
>
>         Graphite would be the obvious choice, as it is pretty inert.

Graphite could probably be acquired from a theatrical lighting supply house
in the form of electrodes for carbon-arc lights (very old technology
though, might be hard to find). Titanium is also pretty inert, and should
be more durable as well as easier to find (http://www.onlinemetals.com).
Just get some titanium rods, and either thread the ends or drill and tap
holes in the ends (depending on the size of the rod) to connect wires.

> > Would silver be of any use?
>
>         Not for the positive electrode:
>
>         Ag  -> Ag+  +  e-

Might also be cheaper to just use gaseous CO2 in cannisters at this point ;-)

>         I would get graphite electrodes, or one graphite electrode to
>act as the positive one.  I would probably cut the voltage somewhat
>and stir the cell contents.

I would think graphite would be too brittle to easily work with.

I would suggest maybe a teflon container too to allow easy cleaning.
Polyethylene would probably be a useable inexpensive substitute if you're
only planning on running low temperatures in your reaction vessel.

         -Bill
Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator