Re: Complex Ammonia

Greg said:

> It means that the ammoniacal nitrogen is not present as free ammonia
> or ammonium per se, but rather is part of a more complex molecule
> that can be broken down to yield ammonium (by the plants). So, in
> theory algae could also utilize it as a nitrogen source however our
> studies and beta testing did not show this to be the case (i.e. very
> little to no algae growth, in fact many saw algae declines).

I was going to mention that many species of algae can and do use complexed
forms of NH4/NH3. Fish waste often has complexed forms of NH4.

But are what you are seeing(plant growth/no algae) due to _the complexed
forms of NH4 or is it due to adding small amounts of NH4 in a healthy tank?
I've done NH4 dosing at very small amounts and got a slight increase in
plant growth. But it's subtle.

If the uptake capacity of NH4 is high in the tank and the supply is low,
adding NH4, whether it be complexed or free will make a difference? The
plants will quickly grab it. Adding a few fish has the same effect.

Is the complexed form is toxic to fish like the free form?

Adding a drop or two of NH4NO3 or (NH4)2SO4 etc in a well run lean tank will
increase plant growth, but folks often think "more" is better. So they add
too much and get Green water or Compsopogon etc. A similar thing happens if
you incrementally add more fish to a plant tank over time. Some of the fish
waste is complexed ammonium/ammonia also.

Complexing the NH4 vs free forms also take added energy that the plant or
algae needs to expend to get the complexed form and convert it into the free
NH4 form, so using this vs using NO3 is not much of a gain if any.
The energy gained using NH4 vs NO3 is not that great in many plants.

Add the extra energy needed to uncomplex it, and I think the difference
between NO3 and NH4 sources is getting very close to being equal even in a
control environmental study. It's difficult and subtle using the free forms
to notice differences but complexing it reduces that already subtle
difference.

>> growth of aquatic plants without enhancing algae growth.<<
>> Can someone elaborate on this statement?

> Plants need phosphorus for growth, thus if supplied as needed the
> plants will "flourish" and keep algae from taking hold.

Amen!

Regards,
Tom Barr