Re: Why a digest? was attacks

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 03:41:56PM -0800, Erik Olson
<erik at thekrib_com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Adam N. wrote:
>
> > If we could receive messages in real time then we could filter for what we
> > want and keep a lot of the trash off.  It would make things a lot easier.
> > If I want to follow a post about substrate I could automatically send
> > everything else to the trash.  I'd spend less time scrolling and probably
> > read more because I wouldn't have to ponderously manually filter stuff.  If
> > people wanted to read this attack crap then they could filter for it.
>
> There are plugins for most mail readers that will "de-burst" a digest into
> its constituent messages. To the end reader, it will be no different than
> receiving the APD as individual messages, except that it happens only
> twice a day & doesn't put the strain on actwin.com's servers.  I use this,
> and I can easily reply to individual messages, save a post for archiving,
> or even filter out crud before reading it.
>
> I don't know how to do this with Outlook (the 95%), but others have
> mentioned that it IS possible.  Me, I'm still living in 1991 with PINE.

I did quick search over Google the past week and found very little
if at all for Windows users. There's certainly tools for Eudora
under MacOS, not to mention UNIX (which you seem to be using?). Even
if there are tools for Windows and Outlook (Express), they're really
well hidden from average user. Just FYI.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts at estpak_ee