Re:Jargon and plant terms

> Sometimes, it is hard to understand english and especially botanical terms.

It's Latin and Greek, but we do get some English mixed in and many words
from these languages.

> Could I have some examples of aquatic plants that is:
> Monocot ?

Eleocharis.
Araceae(Crypts, Anubias)
Aponogetonaceae
Catails
Potamogetonaceae
Najas
The good old sword plants(Echinodorus), Vals, Blyxa's, Hydrillia, Egeria,
water lettuce, Sag's, duckweed, Acorus, Ottelia, Cyperus, Mayaca, Water
hyacith, Stargrass etc.

> Dicot ?

Gratiola,
Ludwigia
Lobeila
Bacopa
Hygro
Myriophyllum, Rotala most stem plants.
Nuphar, lotus(Nymphaea), Cabomba etc.

> Gymnosperm ?

Bald cypress is one of the few I know of.

> What do these words mean?

Gymnosperm =>Naked seed
(Coniferophyta, Cycadophyta, Gnetophyta and Ginkgopyta) Pine trees, cypress,
Redwoods and Sequoia, Cycads(Dioon), and the Ginkgo tree.

Monocot= germinate from a single leaf(Cotyledons), typically has flowers
parts in groups of 3's(rarely more), linear leaf veination.
Often not "woody" although some have modified secondary growth
(not like that as in the dicot and Gymnosperm woody tissues).

Dicot germinate for two leaves, has flower parts in groups of 4's or
5's(raely 6's) and has branching veination in the leaves.
Often "woody".

> What does "gummy exudate" mean?

Like latex oozing from the rubber plant, milkweeds etc.

> and
> "Plant is a noncotyledonous" ?

No cotyledons. Everything but Monocots of Dicots.
Test next Thursday:)

Regards,
Tom Barr