Convention Tapes

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Lazarus Miskowski wrote:

> So I was wondering if there was going to be another
> tape offered, like there was last year.  Erik?

Funny you should mention this.  Don't ask me why, but for some reason I've
actually finished all the prep-work on the video footage this week (except
for Jeff Senske's talk --- he swears that his powerpoint slides are in the
mail).  Usually it takes months before I start.

So, yes, I just asked the rest of the board for approval to sell tapes
again.  The pricing's going to be the same -- $30 for any single year, $50
for two and $70 for all three years (US rates -- e-mail me if you're
outside the US).  And if you're into instant gratification, you can pay by
PayPal. The address to use is davidlass at villasunscape_com; make sure to
indicate which years' tape(s) you want, and your shipping address.  The
tapes will be available to AGA members only (stipulation by some of the
speakers).

I will say in advance that the visuals for every talk are very good,
because they are digitally transferred from the presenters' slides (except
for the parts of Claus' talk that was done with traditional film slides).
Claus was complaining the entire convention because the projector didn't
represent the colors correctly (especially the greens); on the tape, it'll
only be at the mercy of your TV.

The sound I will have to apologize for.  Like the previous year, I ran the
house sound & recorded the video sound directly off the mixer.  When the
mics worked, the sound is crystal clear.  But somehow there were some
technical glitches, and between having to set up in 4 different locations
throughout the weekend & being distracted doing a talk of my own, I didn't
detect & fix them BEFORE the talks.  And there was no way to stop the
talks once the speaker got started.  As a result, there are annoying
dropouts here & there in Claus' first talk.  You can still understand 99%
of the talk, but it's sure jarring when you hit a 5 second bit of silence
for no real reason.  I've edited out some of them, but some remain.  Just
warning ya.  The other talks don't have this problem, but Claus is the one
everyone came to see.  So I'm a little bummed, but I'm more jazzed he let
me directly edit in his digital slides.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson