Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #438

I'm not a botanist, but I"m wondering if the seeds may have been coated to
prevent fungal rot during storage?  if so, maybe the ethanol pre-soak is to
break this coating down...?  Or it could be to kill any nasties to prevent
fungal growth during the 90 day (long time!!) cold soak (in water, I'm
assuming?)

Any of the alcohols you mentioned should be fine; I believed some drugstore
brands are dosed with methanol to make them taste bad, so it might be a good
idea to check for that, although even so I doubt it could have any ill
effect.

In a message dated 11/15/2002 1:43:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,

> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:37:45 -0500
> From: "James Purchase" <jppurchase at rogers_com>
> Subject: Ethyl Alcohol
>
> I'm wondering if any of the biologists on the list can clue me in on what I
> need to do here. Is the purpose of the 5 minute soak to sterilize the seeds
> prior to their "cold soak"? Can rubbing alcohol be used for this purpose,
> or
> do I have to go to my Doctor and ask for a prescription for the drinkable
> variety? Or, alternatively, can I just pour a few ounces of Vodka over the
> seeds to do the same thing (and much more cheaply)?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---