[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: DIY CO2 and alcohol byproducts
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Re: DIY CO2 and alcohol byproducts
- From: Robert Crawford <crawford at kloognome_com>
- Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:27:37 -0500
- References: <200211120959.gAC9xw45004869 at otter_actwin.com>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530
> If I understand it correctly, the main reason the DIY CO2 systems stop
> working after a while is because the alcohol concentration in the
> mixture gets too high, and the yeast starts dying off.
> Doesn't alcohol evaporate into air?
> Would it be possible to just uncork the DIY system every week or so,
> let it evaporate, and then hook it back up? Has anybody done this, and
> if so, how long does it work before petering out?
For one thing, the alcohol won't evaporate fast enough. For another, the
alcohol (and CO2) are produced from the sugar in the mix. Eventually
you'll run out of sugar anyway.