Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #428

>Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:53:07 -0500
>From: Bill Wichers <billw at waveform_net>
>Subject: Re: Digest mode. [off topic]
>
>Speaking as a sysadmin, I can say that the savings isn't really in
>bandwidth (you still send essentially the same amount of info to all the
>subscribers, just as "bursts" instead of a long-term trickle), the savings
>is in processing overhead on the server. There is a lot less connection
>overhead to send out one or two digests per day to all the subscribers than
>there would be to establish 20-30 connections to every subscriber per day.

Who isn't a unix sysadmin these days? ;-)

A resolution to keeping mail as individual packets and still having the
SMTP server conserve connection overhead is to delay the que processing
time. For example sendmail:  /sbin/sendmail -bd -q24h

Sets it to only process the queue once every 24 hrs. *shrug* If the SMTP
server is dedicated to processing just the plant digest mailing list
then effectively the problem is circumvented.  I would gess that perhaps
one of the other issues to contend with is all the established users on
the list not wanting to figure out how to filter incoming mail into a
separate mail box.

I'll shut up now. I do have some plant problems I want help with in the
near future. ;-)

--
Chris
Closet  Unix Sysadmin