Re: Digest mode. [off topic]

Speaking as a sysadmin, I can say that the savings isn't really in
bandwidth (you still send essentially the same amount of info to all the
subscribers, just as "bursts" instead of a long-term trickle), the savings
is in processing overhead on the server. There is a lot less connection
overhead to send out one or two digests per day to all the subscribers than
there would be to establish 20-30 connections to every subscriber per day.
Essentially the digest can result in (assuming about 20-30 messages per
day) about 90% or so savings in the number of outgoing SMTP connections for
outgoing mail. On a busy mail server these kinds of things add up and DO
make a difference. I've never inquired as to why the APD is a "D", but I
would assume this is probably at least one of the reasons.

There is also a "wed edition" of the APD that is laid out as messages and
threads that is available at http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants I
usually read the messages there where you can follow threads a bit more
easily, and then I copy/paste into Eudora to compose replies.

         -Bill

>It's the most anoying thing I've ever had to deal with in a mailing
>list. I know it must conserve bandwith, but really... how much overhead
>from connections do you really save? ~7-10% ?

>[snip]

>Thanks,
>
>Chris.

Waveform Technology