Re: Buying KNO3 -- Stump Removers

Jerry wrote:

>I wouldn't worry a lot about NaOH in KNO3. Think of KNO3 as a HNO3
>(nitric acid) solution with K dissolved in it. I wonder if the NaOH is
>added to counter the acidity of the NO3?

The guy with the rocketry site surmised that it was used to further
accelerate the decomposition process.  I guess two oxidizers are better
than one.  I'm pretty sure the product I have does not contain lye since it
doesn't have that "dry yet wet" feel and doesn't suds up.  Lye aside, I'm
paranoid enough about the stump remover now, though, that I'll be searching
out another source.  My current bottle's nearly empty and I wouldn't mind
having something that dissolves easier anyway.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee