Re: can't turn off co2 -- or Turning to different knobs

Cavan asked a follow up question re his problem with his
CO2 tank not turning off.

> Do you mean the problem may be with the bottle itself
> (before the regulator)?  I could just swap it for
> another one I guess.  If I took it back, would I just
> disconnect the co2 line from the tank and open the
> needle valve to drain it?  Could that take a really
> long time?  I suppose I could just wait until it runs
> out again to replace the bottle if it's safe.  Right?
>
> Thanks, Cavan
>
> PS  My luck isn't all bad.  My dentist gave me his 30
> gallon reef a while ago and my Madagascar lace has
> flowered again!

I understood you to say that when you close the valve on
the CO2 bottle itself, the CO2 flow doesn't stop.  My prior
comments address that situation.  If you meant something
else [not the first time I misunderstood something this
year ;-)  ] then I need some clarification.  What knob are
you turning that isn't stopping the CO2 flow.

If it's the metering valve, some of those aren't intended
to be used for shutdown, only to control the flow.  If you
turn those all the way in, you damage the valve and valve
seat.

If you meant the knob or adjuster on the regulator, then I
wouldn't necessarily worry so long as the regulator
performs okay otherwise.

If you meant the knob directly on the CO2 bottle itself,
then see my prior comments.  That knob should always be
able to close the tank completely and that's the knob one
should use to do that.

RE how long it takes to empty the tank.  You can remove the
CO2 line that goes to you tank, open the metering valve,
turn up the regulator, and let it squeal -- This will
probably take a few minutes to empty the CO2 tank.  Or you
can close down the CO2 bottle valve as much as possible and
slowly remove the regulator.  Hold the CO2 tank firmly and
then slowly open the CO2 bottle valve.  If the tank
pressure is still above 800 psi or so, then the outstream
can be quite forceful --  only open the valve as much as
you feel comfortable holding the bottle -- you don't want
it spinning around on the floor like Curly Joe Howard. You
can empty the tank this way in less than a minute.

If you are concerned that the CO2 bottle valve is not
closing fully, you can turn it as closed as possible,
remove the regulator, and put some
water-mixed-with-dish-detergent on it.  The detergent will
bubble wherever CO2 is coming out.

Hope that helps more than before :-)
Scott H.

PS: your dentist gave you better than mine gave me ;-)