cheap gravel

Using Quickcrete bags of gravel should be safe to use, as long as it's just
the gravel and not gravel with cement mix. I'm using gravel now in a
10-gallon. I sifted it through various sized screens and layered it in the
tank. Large rocks (3/4" dia) on bottom, then medium, fine and a layer of
sand. Commercial gravel tends to be quite sharp edged because it is
typically crushed rock and hasn't had a chance for the edges to be worn down
over time. I haven't had a problem with any plants growing in this gravel.

-Travis