[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Buying KNO3
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Re: Buying KNO3
- From: Jerry Baker <jerrybaker at attbi_com>
- Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:10:34 -0700
- In-reply-to: <200210301035.g9UAZnjO014185 at mailhub_actwin.com>
- References: <200210301035.g9UAZnjO014185 at mailhub_actwin.com>
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 [en-US] (Windows NT 5.1; U) Gecko
Chuck H. wrote:
> You could also just go to Walmart and get some Greenlight stump
> remover. Greenlight has verified that it's just KNO3. It's not pharm.
> grade, but it is relatively pure. I've been using it for around 2
> years now. Never had a problem with it. I found it on the aisle with
> weed killers. It's in a white plastic bottle with a yellow cap. I
> think I paid about $4US for 16oz.
I'm a little leery of Greenlight Stump Remover as a source of KNO3. I
started out with a 500g bottle of ACS grade KNO3 from the local
university's chemical stockroom. The laboratory KNO3 was pretty much
white like rock salt. When dissolved in water, the solution was
completely clear with no precipitate. Greenlight Stump Remover is not
white, and when dissolved in water it is very cloudy with this
gelatinous stuff floating around. What's all that extra junk?