Re: How to increase brightness of your AHS light kits at no cost

> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:13:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>

> Say no more.  I too found dramatic improvement merely by
> removing the integral filter material from the bulbs, which
> material, it turns out, is made entirely of cardboard.
> That difference was like night and day.  ;-)

Although not a low cost solution, I have found that greatly reducing the
resistance presented to the flow of electricity to the lights offers a very
impressive intensity improvement. Although it is a complicated process
learned and perfected in advanced EE classes, I try to explain it in
layman's terms:

1) locate the repositionable linear electrical access accessory (it's
usually the black component extending from the ballast),
2) determine the location of your local high voltage power port (typically
found in the wall),
3) while carefully positioning the alignment pins located on the access
accessory, fully connect the accessory to the power port.

Optional step for the electrically advanced:

4) activate the electrical conductance mechanism.

This worked for me. Your results may vary. As always, exercise extreme
caution when working around the aquarium: water and electricity will mix
with exciting results.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
  The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
      http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com (mirror)
      http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/