[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Fronds, leaves? moss structure

I was just looking at a new photo of the Christmas tree moss that Loh K
L sent me, and it came to me that I'm probably talking about a different
part of the structure, which may be where some of the confusion has come
from. Looking at the picture I can see that the whole shape of the plant
is triangular, where I was looking at the tiny individual leaflike
structures that grow on the stem. The moss that I have been calling
Christmas tree has very triangular tiny leaflike structures but the
branches don't grow that way. I switched to using the word fronds, to
describe the leaf like structures in the last email I mailed here but
now I'm thinking that isn't the right terminology either. 

So if the whole branching part of the moss is the frond. What are the
little individual leaf like structures that grow off the stem called,
and on the same line of thought, what are the little leaf like parts of
a liverwort called? I'm still trying to identify mine.