Hagen NO3 kit (liquid reagents)

I wonder if anyone using this kit has compared the results to a 'quality'
kit like the LaMotte you American guys are always raving about.

When matching the vial to the colour chart do folks hold the vial so it is
touching the chart (40ppm reading from my tank) or away from it (10ppm)?
See the difference!

I'm frustrated with the NO3 kits we get here in the UK, I've never been
confident of the readings from any of them, seems different whichever kit
you use.  I've found an online retailer selling the Salifert kit which I
haven't tried before, anybody rate it?

Thanks
Wayne