Re: moving an aquarium

Mark wrote:

"In about 6 weeks I'll be moving from Los Angeles to Albuquerque, NM, and I plan on taking my 75 gal plant tank with me.  As such, I'm looking for advice on how to best move the aquarium."
Mark,  as a former trucker one of the things you can do to help is to raise the tank off the floor of the truck.  Ideally if you had two pallets (they're about 3 feet square) that you could set the tank on that would help a lot.  Your Uhaul place may be able to lend/sell you a couple pallets.  Also, Uhaul usually has padded blankets that are pretty good insulators that you can get with the truck.

Here is what I would do, starting from the bottom: Two pallets, a sheet of the styrofoam insulation meant for the house under the tank, then wrap the whole tank in blankets, then more sheets of the styrofoam around the sides and top of the tank. Tape the styrofoam in place with a good packaging tape..  Also, the warmer all the parts are before you wrap your tank the better.  So if its cold outside, bring the styrofoam and blankets inside and warm them up before you set everything up.  A setup very similar to this is what my Dad and I used to haul groceries in an unheated trailer during Canadian winters.

Neal