Re: Compact Fluorescents-Screw in

Hi Kyle,

I have been using a screw in compact fluorescent on my small tank for nearly
two years now. First a warm white on a two gallon betta hex then a 5500K
daylight by Philip on a five gallon and now for a couple weeks a 6500K bulb
I found at Home Depot. They have been used in a desk lamp with a cased glass
shade, very poor reflector I am sure. They work fine! I have grown frogbit,
java fern, Christmas moss, rotala rotundifolia, anubius nana, C. petchii, C.
pondifolia [sp], wisteria and marselia under them. I put a sprig of myrio in
there and it did grow a little but didn't flourish, just as well.

The 6500K bulb is very attractive and cost only $8, the daylight Philips
cost twice as much and I didn't like the color as much although it was a big
improvement on the warm white -betta was red under WW and blue on red under
5500K, fish never seen under the 6500K bulb. It was in a bubble pack, I
threw the packing away and don't remember the manufacturers name- definitely
not GE or Philips or Lights of America. Light is bright and cool, the fish
and plants look great. Go for the higher K, worth it. If you can get to a
Home Depot, see if you can find them.

My five gallon with one nineteen watt 6500K looks nicer and brighter than
the ten gallon lit with two fifteen watt 5500K bulbs. Okay, one of those
bulbs is two years old now!

My original WW is now in a lamp in the livingroom and the 5500K is in the
kitchen. All my old fluorescent bulbs are taking up room in the garage.
These things make sense to me, I can reuse my experimental bulbs and cannot
reuse the regular fluorescents.

Kathy in southern California

I've got a couple of questions about screw-in CF lights that I'm
hoping someone can help me with as there is next to nothing on
the web about them (and not much that I could find in the AP
archives).
---------cut---------------
Anyway, I found a website called buylighting.com (the most
direct way to the screw in CF page is:
https://secure.tcinternet.net/buylighting/cart/
then click on the "CFL screw-in" link under compact
fluorescents)
They sell
screw-in CF's in daylight spectrum (5100k) in a range of
11w-44w.
My questions are:
1.  Anyone try daylight spectrum screw-ins?  And if so how are
they working out?  Do you think its worth switching out the warm
lights for the daylights?  Will they give off less of a yellow
cast?

2.  Has anyone bought from Buylighting.com before?  Would you
recommend it?  Are there other companies you would recommend if
this one has problems?

Kyle