Measuring Effective Light

Hello,

The "Flourex Light'  thread reminds me of a similar discussion about a year
or so ago.  My contribution to that was to suggest that watts per gallon was
at best a rough estimate of the light available to plants, and that there
should be better measure.   Compact fluorescent technology apparently has
further weakened the wpg tool.

I had suggested that we hobbyists, through experimentation or calculation,
determine the amount of light energy from various bulb/ballast/reflector
combinations that actually reaches the bottom of the aquarium, measured at
various depths.  This could be made available in the form of a spreadsheet
and end for all time much of the questions about various kinds of light.
Almost, anyway.

It would take some effort to set this up initially, but relatively little to
maintain it.

The response I received then was less than overwhelming.  Maybe this is a
good time to bring it up again?  If I had the skills I would do it, but maybe
Wayne and/or Scott and/or Tom and/or the many other very knowledgeable people
here could take a stab at it.

Best wishes,

Bill