vortex diffuser - let's get technical

Ok, so I built two vortex diffusers and have a small pump hooked up to it.
The co2 goes in and swirls around and some gathers at the top. The amount of
co2 trapped inside the chamber never exceeds the chamber size too spill out.
At the base of the chamber I can see......30 - 40 really small bubbles
constantly flowing out of the chamber. If the rate of gas flowing into the
chamber is greater than the amount leaving then a lot of it has to be
getting absorbed. But, it isn't working as well as one would think. I have
had better luck using an airstone and a glass jar on its side.

Why doesn't the vortex thing work better? Any guesses out there?

-Travis