Re: Isoetes and Podostemum ceratophyllum

> Greetings,  I'm Kyle Williams and I just joined this group.  I'm a botany
> graduate student......

These guys are worst:)

> just have one 10 and one 20 gallon tank currently and I'm sure you can guess
> from my interest in botany that I want these tanks to have plants every bit as
> interesting as the fish!
> Anyway, my particular questions are on finding and growing two unusual aquatic
> plants.  One is Isoetes.  What species will do well in an aquarium and does
> anyone know where to find them for sale (True Aquarium Plants has it listed
> but they are out of stock)?  Any tips for growing it?

Slower growing but fairly easy. Certainly the odd ball of ferns. I believe
Arizona Aquatic Gardens has it. Dr. Jon E. Keeley, now at Sequoia Nat park,
has done some of the better known papers and then there are some Taxonomist
that love ferns a great deal.

> The other is much more obscure.  Podostemon or one of its relatives in the
> Podostemaceae
> (Marathrum or Tristicha and too many others to list).  Some species look more
> or less like algae (but it is a flowering plant) and others look fern-like.

Not many folks folks keep this plant. You'd be better off seeing about the
academic world for this plant. Also limnology/lotic systems ecology.

I believe that Charles Horn at Newberry College in Newberry, SC is
studying that genus. His phone number is 803-276-5010.

Capers, R.S., Les, D.H.
An unusual population of Podostemum ceratophyllum (Podostemaceae) in a tidal
Connecticut River.
RHODORA 103(914):219-223. 2001.

For folks wondering what it looks like:

http://sparc.ecology.uga.edu/webdocs/web_research/c_geo_stream.htm

> It tends to grow on rocks in fast flowing streams.

Which tend to be colder also.

> There are a lot of species worldwide, but just one where I live (Durham, NC)
> which I may go collect.  Anyone have experience with these plants?  Tips on
> growing them and obtaining them would be greatly appreciated.

Cold water.
Regards,
Tom Barr