Re: Cypress and Mangroves

> I'd like to try Cpress in one of my tanks.  I've tried Mangroves ins
> saltwater before, with mild luck.  Usually, they put out a leaf or two,
> and never do anything more.  The leaf will drop off after a few weeks, and
> they'll just stay ther e- not rotting, just not growing.  WHen I've tried
> them in FW, they just sink to the bottom after a week and rot.  Has anyone
> had success with them in FW?

Not sure about the freshwater aspects of mangrove-growing, but I think there
was a thread on this list about that some time ago so you might want to dig
through the archives a bit.

I have been told that what you describe happening on the saltwater side is
part of the mangrove's process of adapting to life in saltwater. I am told
that once the plant has adapted to the saltwater it will grow OK.
Tropicorium (http://www.tropicorium.com) has mangroves already growing (with
leaves!) in saltwater that they claim won't have any problems with the
saltwater since they're already used to it. You might want to try a plant or
two from them to see if you have better luck.

  -Bill

Waveform Technology
UNIX Systems Administrator