Re: AH Kits

Thanks for all of the responses! Here's what I decided to do for now at least:

I have a wood canopy that someone on this list was kind enough to
give me several months ago. I've been looking at it for months now
and considering splitting the top, but I don't have a band saw. A
band saw would guarantee a better, straighter cut. I decided to try
to get a nice straight cut using a hand saw and it worked out very
nicely. The trick was to saw very slowly and carefully. I split just
the lid, rather than the entire front of the canopy. I installed
three brass hinges on the top and it folds over itself quite nicely.

I took a shoplight apart and mounted that inside the front half of
the canopy and used to spacers to allow room for the cord that
happens to be situated on top of the fixture, rather than exiting the
fixture through the side as most shoplights do. This should allow me
to get a little extra light into the tank while still using my
existing 4x55 watt. I prefer this as I can always lower or raise the
wattage depending on how things look later on.

The down side to mounting shoplights is the weight involved, which is
why I opted for adding just one. This way it's still manageable and I
don't need an engine hoist to get the whole unit off the tank when
it's time to change water. (I'm a scrawny little weakling ;)

Eventually, I'll be building something that's a little closer to what
I have in mind, but for now this should be functional and doesn't
look too bad either. I appreciate all of the ideas that came out of
this discussion. Those should come in very handy later on.

Thanks again!

JoAnn

By the way, on another unrelated note, if anyone is familiar with
parasites found in Figure Eight Puffers and has any clue at all about
what the parasite is that I've found (described here at
http://boards.tomgriffin.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=149 ) please
email me off list. I can't seem to ID this worm through any of the
material I've found. Take a look at the photos I've posted. If
nothing else, it'll make your skin crawl.