Re: Algae wars!

Daphne,

         I grow my plants in partial sunlight. I have battled all kinds of
algae.
Never lost an algae war. Never stripped a tank due to algae..

IMHO..

1. Reducing light is a good option i.e. saves you some money on electricity
also.

2. Introduce some adult American FlagFish, juvenile Rosy Barbs, guppies,
mollies
and/platies. Suckermouth catfishes help with regular algae.
Do not feed them for a few weeks... or feed rarely if not feeding them bothers
you.

I have used these options to battle hair & beard algae with success.
Recently in
a 10 gallon tank, I was growing cladaphora on driftwood.. Some anubias nana got
small tufts of black brush type algae. I introduced one AFF and noticed
that the
cladophora was getting cleaned up along with the black brush algae!

IMHO Algicide seems to work only with slimy green/brown algae.

Good luck.

Raj, vu2zap
Bangalore, South India.