Re: Pellia endiviifolia (Dicks.) Dumort.

>According to "Bryophyte Biology" (Shaw & Goffinet, Cambridge University
>Press, 2000) the species Pellia endiviifolia (Dicks.) Dumort. consists of at
>least four cryptic (sibling) species. One is found in Asia, two in Europe
>and one in North America. No specific location information is given.
>
>I checked a few books dealing with local (southern Ontario) aquatics and
>three species of liverworts are supposed to be here, Riccia fluitans and
>Riccioparpos natans, both thallose liverworts (as is Pellia) and the leafy
>liverwort Cladopodiella fluitans.
>
>These things are either very inconspicuous or very rare - in over 20 years
>of living here I've never knowingly seen any of them in local bodies of
>water. But that probably doesn't mean much - maybe I just didn't recognize
>them for what they are. Next spring, I'll certainly look a little closer
>(its getting kind of cool here to be mucking about in ponds).

I've found Riccia fluitans in the river out back here, and Riccia
triscula is common as dirt and adundant in May/June - but it's a cold
water plant and does not do well above 72. Even the R. fluitans from the
river won't survive in "warm" water.

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://killifish.vrx.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://www.vrx.net