Green algae

I have a 20G planted tank that I maintain with excellent care. It has few
fish, and lots of plants. I have a really bad case of green algae recently.
I have tried everything to curb it, but to no avail. It will start as a
slime on the surface of the water, and it will extend down, over time, to
create a creen fuzzy covering on the tops of all my plants. I have tried
large water changes, cutting down on lighting, cutting down on food, and
just removing it really well. I can't figure what is causing this algae. I
have ottos but they don't eat it. Any ideas?

Sherri